Monday, February 04, 2008

A beautiful day

For running that is or at least it was a nice Sunday morning to get outdoors for a few hours. The rest of the day didn't go so well but more about that later.

My long run schedule was for 21 miles and since I'm 'usually' one to stick to the plan I just headed out the door and down the road to see what would unfold. Due to my planned trip to Halifax later in the day and problems in Boyden Lake Country the run was at home alone with not even an Ipod for company. It was a perfect calm day with little or no wind and temperatures warming from -6 to -2C over the 3+ hours (sad and slow). I believe the effects of my '2-for-1' run were still having their impact on my body. There's not too much to say about the run, slow going, zigged and zagged around town, occasional photo breaks and one water stop at home before finishing off with an out and back to make the required distance. The body felt decent for most of the way but there was no desire or ability to go any faster today.

After the run, I just wanted to take in fluid, food and pass out on the couch for the rest of the day watching the unending pre-game build up for the Stupid Bowl. But no, I had to hop into a little car with a co-worker and drive 5 hours for an early Monday meeting in Nova Scotia. We shared the driving and J was kind enough to do most of it but by the end my legs were absolutely killing me. It's hard to describe; the legs were not cramping but the general pain and soreness was very intense and not being able to stretch of move in the tight quarters made it even worse. But we made it, ordered pizza and settled down with a few beers to enjoy the game.... Stupid Bowl! At least the pizza and beer were good. Lying out on the bed was nice too.

Monday - rest day (thank God) and another long drive home. I was not as sore but we made several stops which helped relieve the tightness from sitting too long in one position. And at least we beat the snow.
Tues - today's schedule called for 2 short runs but I blew off the early one before work. I awoke (before the alarm) reset the clock and napped for an extra hour. Boy, I needed that! At lunch it was an easy 6 miles in a light snow and ice pellet mixture and felt fairly decent for a change. I'm pacing myself for the rest of the week and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

1 comment:

Grellan said...

Ain't work a bi@#h sometimes. Nothing worst than leg aches and pains in cramped conditions. After a long run the legs need a good stretch......on the couch.